Traffic Tickets Options

*Note: If you have a Misdemeanor, you MUST appear for the arraignment. While appearing you can request to speak to an ADA for your settlement options.

The Broome County District Attorney’s Office offers two choices for handling your traffic ticket(s) without the need to appear in court. Either option needs to be used AT LEAST TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR TRIAL DATE. You will need a copy of your ticket(s) or trial notice to apply for either option, if you do not have a copy then you must contact the court. If you apply for either option later than two weeks prior to your trial date, your request will likely be denied, and you will have to attend your trial.

Traffic Diversion Program

If you qualify for the Traffic Diversion Program, completing it will result in a dismissal of the ticket(s), zero points on your license, and a certificate of completion for a defensive driver’s course that you may be able to send to your insurance company to receive a discount. There is a fee for the program, between $200 and $400 per infraction, depending on the severity of the infraction(s).

Eligible offenses for the Traffic Diversion Program are as follows:

  • Speeding up to 30 mph over the speed limit, unless the speeding was in a school or construction zone where the limit would be 20 mph
  • All other moving and equipment violations are eligible EXCEPT: misdemeanors, uninsured Motorist in violation of V.T.L. 319.1 failure to stop for a school bus (VTL 1174) or any other offense involving any type of impairment.
  • Cell phone violations are eligible

To be eligible for the Diversion Program you must NOT have completed the program within the last 18 months.

After you are approved for the program you will need to complete a 6-hour defensive driver’s course at your cost (usually around $30) and send us a copy of the certificate of completion within 45 days of approval. Upon receipt of the certificate your ticket(s) will be dismissed.

For more information and to apply for the Traffic Diversion Program click here

Online Reduction

If you do not qualify for the Traffic Diversion then you can apply for a reduction online.

  • You can NOT use this online request for a misdemeanor offense or any form of impaired driving.
  • You may want to order your driver’s abstract to attach to the request. Ordering the abstract can usually be done on your state’s DMV (or equivalent) website. If you are making a request for reduction, the response to your request will be based on the information that you provide.
  • You will need a copy of your ticket, your abstract and any other information that you believe would be relevant to your request.
  • This Plea of guilty to a reduced charge will result in fines/surcharges and/or points being imposed by the Court and/or New York State. No additional considerations will be taken after the courts imposing of the fines/surcharges and/or points.

You can make a reduction request here

*The District Attorney’s Office cannot advise you if either of these options are best for you. If you are not sure what to do you should seek the advice of an attorney. If you have questions for the District Attorney’s Office about either program you can find our contact Here